Watch Greg Run began as an online journal of my effort to run a marathon each month during 2009. With the marathon a month challenge successfully behind me, I'm still running and still posting with notes on training runs, travel and other thoughts.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

2005 Rock n Roll Marathon (San Diego)

Alot happened between the 1988 Marine Corps Marathon and the 2005 Rock n Roll Marathon. We moved from Utica, New York to Natchitoches, Louisiana to Dallas, Texas, to Birmingham, Alabama, welcome two daughters into the world, changed employers three times, and gained a great deal of excess weight. It was the step on the scale in December 2004 that put me back on the road running.

I remember my first run after my decade off. I made it to the corner near our house, but I could not run up the hill just around the corner. So I walked up that hill and I think about my inability to make it up the hill in December 2004.

Soon after beginning to run again, I entered the Mercedes Half Marathon held here in Birmingham. My motivators were our two daughters, who had entered the Mercedes Kids Marathon, a challenge that has kids run 25.2 miles during the months leading up to the marathon with the final mile (to make 26.2) run the day prior to the full and half marathon events. Suffice it to say I finished. I finished the half marathon in 2 hours and nine minutes, which was just about 10 minutes ahead of the guy who won the full marathon that day.

I finished the Mercedes Half Marathon and set my sights on running a full marathon prior to my 41st birthday, which was August 3, 2005. Stated otherwise, my goal was to complete a marathon while I was still 40. My original plan was to run in San Francisco the weekend prior to my birthday. However, I used half marathons in the area as training runs and while registering for the Country Music Half Marathon in Nashville, I received a discount to enter the Rock n Roll Marathon in San Diego. The entry discount, combined with a free Delta ticket voucher and Marriott Rewards Points for a free hotel room, resulted in a trip to San Diego for my first marathon in almost 17 years.

I have sufficiently bored you with the background story, so I'll be brief about the race. First, I was up at 3:30 a.m. to head to the parking area to catch the shuttle bus to the start line. I was way too early, so had to sit in rental car waiting until 4:30 a.m. for the buses to starting moving. I also arrived at the start line way too early. I spent the better part of two hours sitting by a tree waiting for the start at 6:30 a.m. Eventually I headed to my starting corral where I sat on the curb. I remember this guy sitting down beside me (he was from San Diego) and we started talking. This was his first marathon and he asked me for some advice, I told him: 1. Sit down until you have to move. You're going to be on your feet for five hours, so don't make it 5 and 1/2 by standing and waiting. Sit and wait. 2. Don't spend the whole race dodging in and out through the crowded course (the marathon had 20,000 people running). I hadn't run a marathon in 17 years and I'm giving advice. If only he knew...

Anyway, the race started and so did I. One cool aspect of the "Rock n Roll" series is they have live bands at every mile throughout the course. The bands represent different genres...country, rock, metal, drum line and a folk band. If nothing, it all helps pass the time. It's a big marathon, as the stats below show:

2005 Rock n Roll Marathon Statistics
Runners registered - 20,410
Finishers - 17,113
Male finishers - 8,044
Female finishers - 9,069

Since this was really a training run for the San Francisco Marathon, I only had two goals for this event: Run continuously to the 18 mile mark. Finish.

The 16 mile mark is where the race course runs into the Mission Bay area. I distinctly recall reaching the 16-mile mark and being overwhelmed by the notion that I still had to run 10 more miles. I pushed through to the 18 mile mark, fought to the 21 mile mark, and struggled the rest of the way. You would think an early June run in Southern California would be hot and sunny. It was the exact opposite. The gray clouds and cool temperatures are what helped me keep going, but I hurt so bad at mile 21 that it became a matter of just making progress.

I'd like to tell you all these great things I thought during this race, but I just wanted to make it to 18 miles. Once I was there, I just fought to finish. I did, however, force myself to run the last mile, which finished on a Marine Corps Recruiting Depot located near the San Diego Airport. I finished, and below are my vital numbers:

Greg Sankey #10897
Birmingham, AL
Age: 40 Gender: M
Distance MAR
Clock Time 4:49:17
Chip Time 4:42:37
Overall Place 7119 / 15969
Gender Place 4388 / 7481
Division Place 679 / 1122
Pace 10:47
10K 1:01:29
Half 2:11:29
20Mi 3:48:49

One final note, the worst part is I had to walk from the finish line back to my car. It was over a mile and I was feeling a new pain. Alot of new pain. 26.2 mile plus a mile walk back to may car. I hope they have improved the shuttle system.

No comments:

Post a Comment