Watch Greg Run began as an online journal of my effort to run a marathon each month during 2009. With the marathon a month challenge successfully behind me, I'm still running and still posting with notes on training runs, travel and other thoughts.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

New York, New York (0r 26.2 miles to go...)

It is not hyperbole for me to say I could give you a thousand stories about my experience today.

Given there is so much to write along with many pictures for me to post, I will approach it all this way.

First, I'm about to give you my race story in a manner similar to other race stories.

Later this week (by Tuesday is my hope), I'm going to post a story about my "race like a pro" experience. For a marathon junkie live I have become, the second story may be better than the first.

Finally, later in the week I will add my race statistics, excuses and other musings.

While I intend to more fully explain on Tuesday, you have to understand I rode to the start line with the elite runners, hung out in a tent with the elite runners, stood in the port-a-pottie line with the elite runners, and started the marathon right next to the elite runners. That sentence is what is called a "tease," as I will explain the how, why and what of my experience on Tuesday.

As the picture to the right shows, I began the NYC Marathon in front of 42,000 runners (the smiling folks behind me). That means, during the day, I was passed by oh, I don't know, 20,000 runners. What the picture does not show is what many of you know, that I'm a 4 hour marathoner who is lined up in front of thousands of sub-3 hour runners along with many low-3 hour runners. When the gun went off I had to run like I have not run in a while in order not to get trampled. I did get bumped, pushed and elbowed, but I was in their way.

The benefit of my starting position is having run a half mile in front of the men's elite (aka, race winners) runners. To see some of the world's best marathoners in action is pretty amazing. To see them up close is to realize I am at least six inches to tall with insufficient leg length and a few too many pounds to qualify as elite, sub-elite or as most anything with "elite" and "runner" in the same sentence.

As shown in the picture, the race begins on the Verrazano Narrows bridge. After about a mile and a half on the bridge the course empties in to Brooklyn for the next 11 miles mainly along 4th Avenue. A few miles later you cross the Pulaski Bridge in to Queens then run over the Queensborough Bridge on to First Avenue in Manhattan. Running on First Avenue is loud, full of spectators, exciting and motivating.

At this point in the race I was feeling good. Yes, I had run 16 miles but I still moved along with a chance to break the four hour barrier. I popped out my earphones just to listen to the crowd, which is an indication of how inspiring that stretch of the route really is.

From First Avenue, you turn in to The Bronx (home of the New York Yankees). Another turn puts you in Harlem for a short run and then on to Fifth Avenue.

When I turned on to Fifth Avenue four hours was still possible.
But, Fifth Avenue is uphill to Central Park and I was paying a price for my fast start. All day uphill runs had affected me more than usual. It was at mile 23 where the wheels would not move. Mile 22 to 23 was run in just over nine minutes, which was good enough to keep me on pace for the four hour finish. I did not not hit the wall at mile 23...it slammed in to me. I had done a good job of willing myself to stay on pace for the previous three miles, but my legs had had enough. Honestly, my legs tapped me on the shoulder and said they had had more than enough.

The result was "low gear." Jog, walk, just move. It is such a great stretch to run up 5th Avenue and turn in to Central Park. The crowds are like the Tour de France...pushing in while the police tell them to stay back. It's just a great part of the New York experience. I just could barely move. The product was a 45 minute effort to complete the final three miles. My finishing time was 4 hours and 17 minutes.

The finish line area is crowded. People trying to get their medals. A few folks "fall out" and require medical attention. Many, including me, are reduced to slow shuffle. There are mylar blankets to grab for warmth, along with a bag of snacks and fluids.

Franky, I have not been focused on trying to run for a specific time in many months. My focus has been on completing each run. Today, I really felt four hours was within my reach. It was not to be.
While disappointing, today represents my 12th consecutive month with a completed marathon. In addition to all the stories now listed on this blog, I ran in Huntsville, Alabama last December (with a time of 3 hours and 55 minutes). But that's not my goal. My goal is to run a marathon a month in 2009.
I now have one more to go!

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! Greg Buddy!
    oh but december gonna be so hard mista.

    wishin you well.

    Aloha,
    will-yum

    ReplyDelete