Watch Greg Run began as an online journal of my effort to run a marathon each month during 2009. With the marathon a month challenge successfully behind me, I'm still running and still posting with notes on training runs, travel and other thoughts.

Friday, April 9, 2010

And Now, Back To The Blog...

It's been a while.

I expect I've lost my dedicated 18 followers and assorted others who deny the guilty pleasure of reading Watch Greg Run.

But, just in case anyone is still interested, I'm still running.

For 15 consecutive months, since December 2008, I ran at least one marathon each month. There were 16 marathons in all during that time. My finishing time ranged from 3 hours and 55 minutes to just a smidge over 5 hours (it was actually 10 minutes over 5 hours). The total distance covered in races was just over 419 miles. The training distance during those 15 months was something greather than 2,000 miles, but less than 3,000 miles.

So, you might imagine I had pretty much run and written myself out. Now, however, it's time to move forward.

I have completed one marathon since my last post. The Mercedes Marathon in Birmingham, Alabama (home of the international offices for Watch Greg Run) is held in mid-February. It's a marathon I have finished five times (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010). My best time in the Mercedes was 4 hours, 1 minute, which I consider to be the worst possible time for a marathon. A little over a minute quicker in that one and I'd have broken the magical four hour mark.

2010 was special as my time was a personal record (in Birmingham) of 3 hours, 59 minutes and 14 seconds, a time I achieved without the benefit of a watch. As happens to me every so often, I pushed the wrong button on my watch around mile 8, which I failed to discover for about a mile.

Oh, and the really great thing about running a marathon close to home is that the entire staff from the Watch Greg Run home office show up for the post race picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment