Watch Greg Run began as an online journal of my effort to run a marathon each month during 2009. With the marathon a month challenge successfully behind me, I'm still running and still posting with notes on training runs, travel and other thoughts.

Friday, June 5, 2009

Travel to the West Coast

If you read yesterday's post closely you likely noticed the typo. If you did not read yesterday's post until today (or later) the typo has been corrected. The original post referenced my run tomorrow (June 6) as the July marathon. Just to be clear, June 6 is still June 6.

If you read yesterday's post you likely noticed the trivia question about the UC-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs. How did I know the answer to that question? In my first graduate class (Higher Education Administration), one of my classmates was a graduate of UC-Santa Cruz. I've been carrying that bit of trivia around for the last 20 years.

Today started in Birmingham, with a 7 a.m. Delta flight to Atlanta, which was delayed resulting in a brisk walk from Terminal A to Terminal C to catch my flight to San Francisco.

Tomorrow's running goal is to finish, which is pretty much the same goal as I established for the May marathon. The Forest of Nisene Marks Marathon is run on fire roads through a state park. This will be a small event, so it has been difficult to find any information from my usual sources. The only comments I have found relate to the half-marathon, which is run the same day but on a trail different from the full marathon. I have learned there is an elevation increase of 2,500 feet during the first 12 miles of the race, we will run under a "beautiful canopy of trees," and the course is "out and back." There are only five aid stations on the course, so as in Arizona, I'll be running with a water bottle.

Based on California's state budget challenges, it's a good thing the race is in early June. I heard on the news tonight that there is a financial deadline looming for state government later in June. If budget cuts are required, one of the budget reducing actions identified is to close state parks.

Between finding out the namesake of the park (Nisene Marks was the matriarch of the Marks family who donated land for the park), the reality of California's budget battle(s), and learning it now costs $6.00 to cross the Golden Gate Bridge, I have determined there is some educational benefit associated with this marathon-a-month effort.

The race begins at 8 a.m. Pacific Time tomorrow. I plan on finishing, driving back to the hotel, and updating the blog with race information.

No comments:

Post a Comment