Watch Greg Run began as an online journal of my effort to run a marathon each month during 2009. With the marathon a month challenge successfully behind me, I'm still running and still posting with notes on training runs, travel and other thoughts.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Couple Days Off

When I crossed the finish line in Boston back on April 19, it was the first time in three years that I was not entered in a marathon.

For the prior 36 months, I pretty much went from one race to another. Back in the old days of 2008, there was time between my marathons to recover and train. I was hurrying from race to race and from place to place, thus the Mad Hatter picture to the left. It took me about 4 months in 2009 to figure out the notion of training plans, recovery, and tapering needed to be tossed out the window. That same approach brought me through the first 4 months of 2010, when I had three more marathons scheduled.

After Boston, I needed a break. So it's been almost a month of running less, rather than running more. I have actually limited myself to no more than five miles during any one day. I have also avoided any indoor activity (a.k.a., a Precor Elliptical Trainer) during this period of recovery. All that means is I've only made a few runs so far in May, with all at least four miles but none longer than five miles.

The plan moving through the summer is to enjoy some races at shorter distances, find a fall marathon--likely in a new place--and begin a training program that will better prepare me for my next 26.2 mile adventure.

The problem for this blog right now is based on one of my original statements--I'm not that interesting. So, I started a blog about running and have not varied much from that plan. Since my running plans will be significantly below last year, I either stop the blog or figure something else to post in cyberspace.

We'll see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment