Watch Greg Run began as an online journal of my effort to run a marathon each month during 2009. With the marathon a month challenge successfully behind me, I'm still running and still posting with notes on training runs, travel and other thoughts.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

I Think I'll Go Home Now

Let me begin by saying the blog is not done. Right now, I am having trouble posting pictures, so those will come tomorrow (Monday). In addition, I will tell more of today's marathon story in Monday's post, including posting the sign(s) of the day.

Later this week and through December I'm going to post about some of the perspectives gained while running. I also intend to summarize the statistics from my year-long endeavor, prepare a "best of" and "worst of" list, and post pictures of all the "wood, hay and stubble" (aka, finisher's medals or "bling") I have gathered this year.

Before I talk any about my day, I want you to know that I've been saving a set of movie quotes to share on the occasion of my final marathon for the year.

Let me begin by offering this perspective: While I'm not a native of the state, I have spent the past seven years living in Birmingham, Alabama.

An interesting occurrence has taken place during my runs down Boylston Street in the last two Boston Marathons...specifically, Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama has been played over the loud speakers as I have run the final quarter mile. Until seven years ago, the coincidence would not have meant much. But it does now.

While what I'm about to say may insult someone, as a resident of Alabama it's only meant to help communicate my thoughts in a way that is intended to make people smile. Until Mark Ingram won the Heisman Trophy last evening, the most famous runner from Alabama may have been Forrest Gump or Bo Jackson. But Mark and Bo don't really tie in to long distance running, so I have to use Forrest to help illustrate my point.

The first time I saw the Forrest Gump movie, it made be both laugh and cry. The fact that I teared up during a showing of Forrest Gump may indicate some kind of emotional flaw within me, but I appreciate a story that can bring me through a range of emotions. Anyway...

If you remember the movie, there are a set of scenes that show Forrest running across the country, turning around and running back across the country, then turning around and doing it again.

Here's an excerpt from the script as Forrest runs along:

Newsman: Sir, why are you running?

1st Reporter: Why are you running?

2nd Reporter: Are you doing this for world peace?

3rd Reporter: Are you doing this for women's right?

Newsman: Or for the environment?

Reporter: Or for animals?

3rd Reporter: Or for nuclear arms?

Then, via a voice over, Forrest says the following:

Forrest: They just couldn't believe that somebody would do all that running for no particular reason.

At this point in the movie, somebody finally asks Forrest why he's running:

2nd Reporter: Why are you doing this?

Forrest: I just felt like running.

Why did I run 13 marathons in 12 months?

Honestly, I just felt like challenging myself through running.

Maybe I missed an opportunity to do something else while running, but I actually think I did a great deal while trudging along. There were many thoughts, learning took place, I prayed with great frequency (mostly prayers of thanks), I listened, and I observed people, mountains, oceans, rivers, deer, redwoods, ski jumps, architecture, blue sky, clouds, and even some rain while running in Tampa.

Like Forrest, I ran from the East Coast (Boston) to the West Coast (Santa Cruz) and back (New York City). Unlike Forrest, I took a plane for most of those miles.

As Forrest neared the end of his run, actually it was at the end of his run, he had more to say:

Forrest (voice over): I had run for 3 years, 2 months, 14 days, and 16 hours. [he stops and turns around]

Young Man Running in the Group Behind Forrest: Quiet, quiet! He's gonna say something!

Forrest: [pause] I'm pretty tired... I think I'll go home now.

Today was as enjoyable a run as I have experienced this year. I, quite literally, smiled the biggest smile I could muster for the last six miles of the race. Until today, I don't think I've never smiled for an hour straight. When I finished, I did something I have never before done after a marathon...I started walking back along the course to cheer on the runners behind me. I wanted to see them smile the same way I smile when people yell my name or cheer as I pass.

I had the privilege of seeing friends along the way, running in the morning fog of a perfect December day, and watching the sun break out over the Dallas skyline just as I begin the final three miles.

Thanks, Cath. And thanks to Hannah and Moriah. By allowing me to experience this adventure, you've probably given more than any of us realize at the moment.

Thanks as well to those of you who have read about this journey as I have experienced each month along the way.

I think I'll go home now.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Is this a eulogy for Watch Greg Run, or will we see a sequel:

    Watch Greg Run the Western States 100
    Watch Greg Run 25 marathons in 24 months
    Watch Greg Become a 50-stater in the next 3-5 years

    Lots of possibilities out there. But for now, a few days to get your legs back, a few weeks to get your sanity back, and then a new challenge to question it all over again.

    ReplyDelete