Watch Greg Run began as an online journal of my effort to run a marathon each month during 2009. With the marathon a month challenge successfully behind me, I'm still running and still posting with notes on training runs, travel and other thoughts.

Friday, April 16, 2010

How Running the Marathon Affects the Body

For those wanting to see how sign up and follow my run in Boston, see the April 14 post (click the link or look below).

During the days leading up to a big marathon, the local media often provides some great information via feature articles on running, runners and the marathon culture.

This week, the Boston Globe is nicely filling the information void with some interesting articles on numerous marathon-related topics.

  • Boston.com includes an article entitled, "Tales from the tail of the marathon,"which means something to me as my bib number is 23849 in a marathon of about 25,000 people. The article begins by telling the story of a man who participates in the marathon while pulling a wagon with oxygen bottles. I actually recall passing this runner in 2009, so it's nice for me to understand his story.
  • "Evolution of the Boston Marathon Course" provides some perspective on the current Marathon course.
  • You can also access an interactive map of the entire Boston Marathon course, which includes a description and information on elevation changes. Make sure to check out the Heartbreak Hill description at mile 21.

And, what I have found to be the most fascinating feature is a series of graphics and information on how running a marathon affects the body.

  • Feet, heart, lungs, brain, leg and muscles are all described in a feature labeled How Running the Marathon Affects the Body. I have not yet had time to read each section, but the information on the feet and hearts appears interesting enough to suggest it's worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment